Par Edge

Do you want to improve your golf skills and lower your golf scores? Is your goal to break 100, 90, or 80?

You can.

It’s going to take time and dedication, but you WILL be able to lower your golf scores by applying smart practice routines and increasing your golf skills.

Let’s do this. Bookmark this page right now.

The essential blog posts for all golfers looking to break 100, 90, or 80.

Start here with golf tips, facts, and drills that apply to all golfers at all skill levels.

How to bring your range game to the golf course.

How to break 100

Click here to see our breaking 100 checklist.

How to break 90

Do you have what it takes to be in the top percentile of amateur golfers? How would it feel to regularly go home with an 88? Wouldn’t golf be so much more fun?

Click here to being you journey to break 90.

How to break 80

It took me years and years of practice with ZERO improvement before I was finally able to break 80. My scoring faced a massive plateau that I could not break no matter what I did. Finally, my scores gave way and now I can break 80. Now I’m blogging (for free – no tricks) now about how I did it.

Click here to begin your journey to breaking 80.

Golf Skill Practice Categories

My goal is to break down all areas of practice in conventional ways – and my approach calls for effective skill-building practice.

Golf Skill Assessment Levels

Not all practice drills are appropriate for everyone. Learn to walk before attempting to run, you must.

We are targeting four levels of golfers. When we asses scores, we are talking about strict scoring rules including absolutely zero “mulligans” or “reloads”, absolutely no lie improvement, and honest out of bounds/hazard penalty stroke application.

The level 1 golfer is a beginner and typically has trouble breaking 100.

The level 2 golfer has not broken 90 or has rarely broken 90.

The level 3 golfer averages 90  and breaks it about half of the time, and who’s goal is to break 80.

Our practice ideas do not cater to golfers than can average 80 or lower.

Driving and getting off the tee

Depending on your current skill level, it might be best for your score to leave your driver in your bag – or it might be best to learn how to drive the ball 270 yards or longer.

Off the tee golf skill development practice techniques will depend on you current skill.

The long game

Some golfers should hit woods and go for the green in two shots. Other golfers should hit long irons and stick the center of the green. Lesser skilled golfers should plan to lay up and do their best just to keep the ball in the fairway.

Regardless of your skill, there are smart way to approach these shots and smart ways to practice to build your skills. We will discuss them in this section which is a work in progress.


Did you know that tour pro statistics are tracked comprehensively? Modern data has proven that your approach skill just might be the MOST important skills when it comes to low scoring.

At lower skill levels, we will work on getting the ball securely on the green.

For higher skill levels, we will practice techniques for skill building that will allow us a shot at one-putting.

Pitching and Chipping

Novice skill levels should focus on assuring a result that is on the green. Advanced skill level golfers should be hunting for a likely one-putt.


Increasing your putting skills is perhaps the easiest way to significantly lower your scores.

Putting skill improvement is not difficult, but it does involve more than spending a half-hour on the practice green here and there. To improve, golfers must practice their skills with a specific goal in mind.

Click here to read our ultimate guide to lag (distance) putting.

Course Management and the Mental Game

Smart golf – it’s more important than you think. Learn it.

90% of golf is mental, and the other 10% is in your head. Don’t skip developing these skills.

We will be working on this site nearly every day. Please check back soon for updates.